Thursday 14 July 2011

AN AVERAGE GIRL DISCOVERS MOUNTAINBIKING: A YEAR'S JOURNEY OF BLOOD, SWEAT, MUD AND TEARS.

A year ago I was an average “runner”. Wait, let me be honest and rephrase that to “jogger”. I attempted cycling on my entry-level mountain bike and finished the grueling 2009 Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge after only training for 3 months on the spinning bike, and it was 5 hours of TORTURE!! 

I decided that I wanted to be better and faster I just didn’t know how to get there.  Then I met Cornelius aka The Multisport Encyclopedia.  He invited me to go mountain biking with him at Groenkloof, a very technical ride for a beginner.  It took less than 2 hours of single-track for me to fall in love with both Cornelius and Mountain biking.  

On our 3rd date Cornelius had the honor of filling in all my private personal details at the emergency room while the Doctor stitched up the gash my knee. This was just one of many falls and trips to the ER.  With time I realized that if it doesn’t need stitches, you don’t need to cry, just cowgirl the f#*k up and get back on the bike!

My bike underwent a gradual transformation; tubeless tires, new seat (it got bent at the same Groenkloof trails), lighter crankset, lighter wheels and then the REVELATION: a set of second hand Magura Louise disc brakes. Braking was now happening with only 2 fingers, this meant more momentum and I was able to navigate single track with more precision (while shouting ‘whoohoo’ several times).

Mountain biking opened an entire new world to me. The previous winter I was sleeping late, skipping gym, this year I’m out of bed daily at 5:20 am for a 90min ride before work, in the COLD(Pretoria temps avg 2-8degrees at that time of the morning in winter)! 
6am ride on Klapperklop

I started reading back-to-back issues of TREAD, Bicycling, Go Multi and ride magazines, buying shammy cream instead of make-up and shopping in Dischem’s supplement aisle with bodybuilder salesmen hovering around. 

With a lot of patience and advice from C, my skills improved weekly.  The best way to learn is to ride behind someone with superior skills, pay attention to the lines they are choosing, notice where they brake and accelerate. 

Every weekend and holiday became an opportunity to discover new trails all over our beautiful country. Some of our favorite weekend trail discoveries: Mount Hope Private Game Reserve, Lindani and Sabie.

Weekend at Lindani



Sabie Trip

A year later I do not only have a leaner and stronger body, upgraded bike and improved nutrition but also a sense that I am able to achieve and better myself during every race and training session.  After so many rides I still get a silly grin on my face when I roll onto a piece of single-track!

I am looking forward to our first century/100km race (Hill2Hill) in just 65 days!

till next time
Tarrin


No comments:

Post a Comment